While I do not follow a strictly Paleo diet, I do enjoy cooking many Paleo recipes because of the use of whole, natural ingredients, and most of the dishes are usually high in protein. This recipe is one of my favorite breakfast casseroles which is high in protein, is a great source of good carbs, is super easy to make, and makes my busy mornings run a little smoother. I will usually cook this on a Saturday or Sunday, cut the dish into 6 servings and put in the refrigerator for the upcoming week. That way I can roll out of bed, put a piece into the microwave for 45 seconds, and have a tasty, healthy breakfast to go.
The casserole is called the Swirly Crustless Quiche and I found it in a book called "Practical Paleo" by Diana Sanfillipo. If you have not heard of this book or are curious about the Paleo lifestyle, I would HIGHLY recommend taking a look at this book. Diana has some really great and intuitive recipes that are all healthy and fairly easy to make.
What you'll need:
-1 large zucchini, shredded or grated
-2 large carrots, shredded or grated
-1 tsp Rosemary-Sage Salt (I use a pinch of rosemary and a pinch of salt equally. However, you can spice it however you like)
-1 large sweet potato, shredded or grated
-1tbsp coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a food processor, shred the zucchini, carrots, and sweet potato. In order to not burn out my food processor, I do each vegetable one at a time.
3. Mix together zucchini, carrots, sweet potato, Rosemary-Sage salt, and eggs together in a large bowl, and then set aside.
4. Grease a 9 inch X 13 inch baking dish and pour the egg mixture into the pan. For a swirled effect, use a fork to create circle patterns before baking. (This step isn't required but will make you feel really fancy when it comes out of the oven)
5. Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until the edges are brown. The quiche will puff up when baking and then deflate when you take it out of the oven (that is normal… so don't panic).
6. Let it cool and then cut into 6-8 servings. (I do six servings) Put into an air-tight container and place in the refrigerator.
7. Enjoy you're healthy breakfast all week!